WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (May 8, 2017) – The next phase of 2017 construction for the State Street Redevelopment Project will begin on Monday, May 15. In order to prepare, construction fencing will be staged starting the week of May 8. The interactive construction map is being updated on a weekly basis, and the following roadways will be impacted during the May 15 to Aug. 13 timeframe:
Traffic restrictions/activities already in place that will continue:
- State Street between Airport/McCormick Road and University Street remains closed to traffic.
- A portion of Tapawingo Drive to the north of State Street remains closed to traffic until traffic switches.
- State Street between Salisbury Street and the Wabash River Bridge remains open to traffic with lane restrictions in place.
- Marsteller Street (between Harrison Street and State Street) will be open to two-way traffic for bus/construction/delivery vehicles prior to May 15.
New traffic restrictions/activities:
- State Street between U.S. 231 and Airport/McCormick Road will be open to westbound traffic only in the coming weeks.
- State Street closure will extend and be in place from Airport/McCormick Road all the way to Salisbury Street. Pedestrians and bicyclists navigating campus should use the north/south vehicular access routes (e.g. Airport/McCormick Road, Martin Jischke Drive, Marsteller Street, and Grant Street). Signs and fencing are posted to help route pedestrians and bicyclists and will be adjusted as needed as the project progresses.
- Sheetz Street (north of Wood Street) and Wood Street (from Sheetz Street to South Grant Street) will be closed to traffic.
- North Grant Street (from State Street to Northwestern Avenue) will be open to two-way traffic effective May 15. Southbound motorists will now enter the Purdue Memorial Union pulloff on the north and exit on the south.
- Brown Street will no longer be accessible from the intersection of State Street and River Road. This is a permanent change.
- Andrew Place (south of North Street) will be temporarily converted from one-way to two-way traffic for limited, local access effective May 15. Parking on the eastern portion of the road will be removed. Work for the permanent conversion of Andrew Place to two-way traffic will be completed prior to mid-August.
- Utility and preparatory work will take place to convert the following roadways from one-way to two-way traffic during the fall phase: State Street (from Sheetz Street to Chauncey Avenue), North University Street (south of West Stadium Avenue), Sheetz Street (north of Harrison Street), Wood Street (from Sheetz Street to Chauncey Avenue), Pierce Street, Northwestern Avenue (south of North Street) and Chauncey Avenue (from Wood Street to Columbia Street).
Pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists should obey all posted signs and use caution while traveling in these areas.
Pedestrians and bicyclists navigating campus should use the north/south vehicular access routes (e.g. Airport/McCormick Road, Martin Jischke Drive, Marsteller Street, and Grant Street). Signs and fencing are posted to help route pedestrians and bicyclists and will be adjusted as needed as the project progresses.
Businesses in the area are open and accessible. The community is encouraged to patronize these area businesses and to regularly visit www.statestreetwl.com throughout the project for up-to-date information. Community members may also sign up for Nixle alerts to receive emergency updates and traffic reminders via text message or email. Sign up by texting the West Lafayette zip code, 47906, to 888777 or by selecting "Alerts" on www.statestreetwl.com.
The State Street Redevelopment Project is a collaborative effort between the City of West Lafayette and Purdue University to improve quality of life by transforming State Street into a more desirable destination for the local community and visitors. For more information about the project, visit www.statestreetwl.com.