WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (May 7, 2018) – The next phase of 2018 construction for the State Street Redevelopment Project will begin on Monday, May 14. As highlighted in the 2018 vehicular traffic plan, the following roadways will be impacted during the May 14 to July 1 timeframe:
Traffic restrictions/activities already in place that will continue:
- Stadium Avenue between McCormick Road and Russell Street remains closed to traffic, including adjacent portions of David Ross Road.
- McCormick Road south of Fairway Lane to Westwood remains closed to traffic.
- State Street between U.S. 231 and Airport/McCormick Road remains open to traffic with lane restrictions in place.
- Intermittent preparatory/utility work along the 2018 project scope, as well as landscaping/finishing work along State Street (from U.S. 231 to Tapawingo Drive), continue and may result in brief lane restrictions.
- The following roads remain open to local traffic only: McCormick Road (from Cherry Lane to south of Fairway Lane), David Ross Road (just north of Stadium Avenue), and the Tarkington access road (south of Stadium Avenue).
New traffic restrictions/activities:
- Stadium Avenue from North Russell Street to just west of Northwestern Avenue will be closed to traffic.
- Third Street from McCormick Road to west of Martin Jischke Drive will be closed to traffic.
- McCormick Road from State Street to Fairway Lane will be closed to traffic with restricted access to Westwood residents and guests only.
- Effective May 29, Williams Street from Grant Street to west of Salisbury Street will be closed to traffic. Access will be maintained for residents and emergency response only.
- Chauncey Avenue from south of Harrison Street to south of Williams Street will be closed to traffic. Access will be maintained for residents and emergency response only.
- The intersection of Martin Jischke Drive and Stadium Avenue will temporarily close to vehicular and pedestrian traffic from May 14-20. An alternate pedestrian path will be provided between Owen Hall and Tarkington Hall and at the North Russell Street and Stadium Avenue intersection. Vehicles should utilize North Russell Street, which will be open during this timeframe. After May 20, Martin Jischke Drive will be open to northbound and southbound traffic with pedestrian crosswalks, and the North Russell Street and Stadium Avenue intersection will close.
- The following roads will be open to local traffic only: North Russell Street (from Sixth Street to Stadium Avenue); Beering Drive (from Tower Drive to Stadium Avenue); Waldron Street (from Sixth Street to Stadium Avenue); North University Street (from Sixth Street to Stadium Avenue); Wooden Drive (from Tower Drive to Stadium Avenue); Stadium Avenue (just east of Northwestern Avenue); Third Street (just west of Martin Jischke Drive); portions of McCutcheon Drive, MacArthur Drive and the adjacent access roads (access to these areas will be maintained via State Street); Chauncey Avenue (just south of Harrison Street); and Williams Street (just west of Salisbury Street).
The interactive construction map continues to be reviewed weekly and updated as appropriate. Pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists should obey all posted signs and use caution while traveling in these areas.
The community is encouraged to regularly visit www.statestreetwl.com for up-to-date project information. Community members may also sign up for Nixle alerts to receive emergency updates and traffic reminders via text message or email. Sign up by texting the West Lafayette zip code, 47906, to 888777 or by selecting "Alerts" on www.statestreetwl.com.
The State Street Redevelopment Project is a collaborative effort between the City of West Lafayette and Purdue University to improve quality of life by transforming State Street into a more desirable destination for the local community and visitors. For more information about the project, visit www.statestreetwl.com.