WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (July 7, 2017) –Several new traffic restrictions/activities will be in place in the coming days as the summer phase of 2017 construction for the State Street Redevelopment Project continues. The following roadways will be impacted on or after July 8:
- Effective on or after July 8, construction work will increase at the intersection of State and Grant Streets through the end of July, and the intersection will change from a signaled intersection to a stop sign during this time. Vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be maintained; however, motorists and pedestrians should exercise additional caution and watch for shifting traffic patterns and access routes.
- Effective on or after July 10, State Street between U.S. 231 and Airport/McCormick Road will be open to westbound traffic only.
- Effective on or after July 11, North University Street (from State Street to Stadium Avenue) will be open to two-way traffic. State Street to 1st Street will remain available for local access only.
- Effective on or after July 12, pedestrian traffic will be adjusted in the Chauncey Village area from Grant Street to Northwestern Avenue. Pedestrian crossings will be available at Grant Street and Pierce Street/Andrew Place.
- Effective on or after July 13 bus/construction/delivery traffic on Marsteller Street will shift to the multi-use path on the west side of Memorial Mall Drive. To exit, vehicles will turn west and follow the Oval Drive loop, turn west on State Street and turn south on University Street.
- Effective on or after July 17, two-way traffic will shift to the westbound lanes of State Street from the Wabash River Bridge to River Road. Large trucks should avoid this area. With this traffic shift, the portion of Tapawingo Drive south of State Street will close to through traffic. Vehicles heading westbound from the Wabash River Bridge will be able to turn right/north onto Tapawingo Drive but will not be able to turn left/south. Vehicles heading eastbound on State Street must continue through the intersection and over the Wabash River Bridge.
The work being done is subject to schedule shifts based on weather and construction timelines.
Pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists should obey all posted signs and use caution while traveling in these areas. Signs and fencing are posted to help route pedestrians and bicyclists and will be adjusted as needed as the project progresses.
Businesses in the area are open and accessible. The community is encouraged to patronize these area businesses and to regularly visit www.statestreetwl.com throughout the project for up-to-date information. Community members may also sign up for Nixle alerts to receive emergency updates and traffic reminders via text message or email. Sign up by texting the West Lafayette zip code, 47906, to 888777 or by selecting "Alerts" on www.statestreetwl.com.
The State Street Redevelopment Project is a collaborative effort between the City of West Lafayette and Purdue University to improve quality of life by transforming State Street into a more desirable destination for the local community and visitors. For more information about the project, visit www.statestreetwl.com.