WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (March 30, 2017) – Road closures and traffic restrictions will be in place Monday, April 3, as major construction begins as part of the State Street Redevelopment Project. As highlighted in the 2017 vehicular traffic plan, the following roadways will be impacted during the April 1 to May 14 timeframe:
- State Street between Airport/McCormick Road and University Street will be closed to traffic.
- McCutcheon Drive, MacArthur Drive, North Russell Street (south of 1st Street), Waldron Street (south of 1st Street) and South Russell Street will be local access only.
- Marsteller Street will be closed to traffic.
- State Street between Littleton Street and the Wabash River Bridge will be open to traffic with lane restrictions in place.
- Portions of Tapawingo Drive to the north and south of State Street will be closed to traffic.
- Additionally, intermittent preparatory work will take place along State Street between U.S. 231 and Tapawingo Drive which could result in brief lane restrictions.
Pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists should obey all posted signs and use caution while traveling in these areas.
To help the community navigate the upcoming State Street Redevelopment Project work, an interactive construction map is available on www.statestreetwl.com. The map is currently set to show the conditions as of the start of construction. Once construction is underway, the map will be reviewed weekly and updated as appropriate. Each highlighted section of the map can be selected to learn more about work duration, scope and travel impacts.
Also available on www.statestreetwl.com are access routes to campus and West Lafayette and the vehicular traffic plan – updated as of March 30 after its initial release in December. The vehicular traffic plan highlights major traffic impacts through the end of November.
Pedestrians and bicyclists navigating campus should use the north/south vehicular access routes (e.g. Airport/McCormick Road, Martin Jischke Drive, North and South University Street, and Grant Street). Signs and fencing will be posted to help route pedestrians and bicyclists.
The community is encouraged to regularly visit www.statestreetwl.com throughout the project for up-to-date information. Community members may also sign up for Nixle alerts to receive emergency updates and traffic reminders via text message or email. Sign up by texting the West Lafayette zip code, 47906, to 888777 or by selecting "Alerts" on www.statestreetwl.com.
The State Street Redevelopment Project is a collaborative effort between the City of West Lafayette and Purdue University to improve quality of life by transforming State Street into a more desirable destination for the local community and visitors. For more information about the project, visit www.statestreetwl.com.