WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Aug. 10, 2017) – The portion of State Street stretching from Salisbury Street to North University Street will reopen by Monday, Aug. 14, with a new, two-way traffic pattern throughout and some restrictions still in place.
As the project moves into the final phase of 2017 construction, which will last from Aug. 14 through the end of November, some existing restrictions will remain in place:
• State Street between Airport/McCormick Road and North University Street remains closed to traffic.
• State Street between U.S. 231 and Airport/McCormick Road remains open to westbound traffic only.
• The portion of Tapawingo Drive to the southwest of State Street remains closed to traffic.
• A portion of Wood Street between Sheetz Street and Grant Street will remain closed for the coming days.
Additionally, the following roads have changed from one-way to two-way traffic:
• State Street (from Sheetz Street to Chauncey Avenue)
• Andrew Place
• Chauncey Avenue (from Wood Street to Columbia Street)
• Grant Street (from State Street to Northwestern Avenue)
• Marsteller Street (from Harrison Street to State Street)
• Northwestern Avenue (south of North Street)
• Pierce Street (from Harrison Street to Wood Street)
• Sheetz Street (north of Harrison Street)
• North University Street (south of West Stadium Avenue)
• Wood Street (from Sheetz Street to Chauncey Avenue)
Over the course of summer construction, Brown Street and South Street were both permanently closed at State Street and as a result, will no longer be open to through traffic.
Due to the continued closure of State Street from Airport/McCormick Road to North University Street, pedestrians and bicyclists navigating this area should continue to cross at the north/south vehicular access routes (i.e. Airport/McCormick Road, Martin Jischke Drive and University Street). Signs and fencing are posted to help route pedestrians and bicyclists and will be adjusted as needed as the project progresses.
The interactive construction map continues to be reviewed on a weekly basis. Pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists should plan their routes, obey all posted signs and use caution while traveling in these areas.
The State Street Redevelopment Project is on schedule, and the parts of State Street that are still closed between the Wabash River and U.S. 231 are expected to be open by the end of November. In 2018, project work will focus on the following areas: Airport/McCormick Road, West Stadium Avenue (west of North University Street) and the Williams Street extension from South Chauncey Avenue to Marsteller Street.
Businesses in the area are open and accessible. The community is encouraged to patronize these businesses and to regularly visit www.statestreetwl.com throughout the project for up-to-date information. Community members may also sign up for Nixle alerts to receive emergency updates and traffic reminders via text message or email. Sign up by texting the West Lafayette zip code, 47906, to 888777 or by selecting "Alerts" on www.statestreetwl.com.